in the past
The origin of the historic Wurstkuchl was a small building leaning against the city wall, which served as a construction office during the construction of the stone bridge from 1135 to 1146. When the building, then celebrated as the eighth wonder of the world, was completed, the construction office moved out and the small building became a "kitchen on the crane". The customers of the kitchen were port and construction workers, hence the name "Kranchen", the former word for crane or cranes. There were many port workers because the rich trade patricians of the Free Imperial City of Regensburg used the port intensively for centuries as a transhipment centre for goods from all over the world. The hungry construction workers, on the other hand, came mainly from the construction site of Regensburg Cathedral.
Centa & Hans
a little bit of carneval
It is not possible to determine exactly when the boiled meat of the cooking kitchen was replaced by the finer sausages. They were probably introduced in 1806, when the historic sausage kitchen was sold by the town treasurer to Garkoch Wolfgang Schricker. At the beginning of the 19th century, the era of the Schricker family begins with the new owner Wolfgang Schricker, which extends to the present owners, the Schricker-Meier family.
...and some early celebrities
Admittedly - the historical Wurstkuchl is today, next to Dom and Steinerner Brücke, a little part of the guides tried and tested compulsory program of most Visitors to Regensburg. We are happy about the many guests from all over the world, who give the old Wurstkuchl a touch of international flair. But we are and will remain a place of tradition. This applies above all to the quality of our food and drinks. This is one of the reasons why the people of Regensburg have remained loyal to us for many centuries.